Christian Mingle is designed to help Christian men and women find a loving relationship that’s centred around God. It’s already had good success – 29% of marriages started with a match on Christian Mingle.
The site is a great way to meet someone who shares the same faith, and you’re likely to meet people ready to settle down and start a family.
Think of dating apps like bars: each one fosters its own community and has its own priorities that can determine how people act on the app (TheVerge). With Christian Mingle, this community has been narrowed down to religion.
“People have told us again and again that they wouldn’t have found each other without us and that they believe God used ChristianMingle to bring them together,” said Ashley Reccord, a spokeswoman for the site.
But how does the dating site really rate? Read our review to find out.
Users are predominantly Christian. 71% of users visit church every week.
The site’s director of brand marketing Bart Visser said: “We’re already responsible for more Christian marriages in the US than any other dating site and we are excited to expand our global presence in our quest to make easier for Christians worldwide to find their soulmate”(ChristianToday.com).
- UK Members: 500,000 of them are from the UK.
- Worldwide Members: There are over 16 million members worldwide.
- Gender proportion: 60% Male and 40% Female
How old do you have to be for Christian Mingle? The majority of users are in their late 20s to their 40s. It’s worth noting that people over 50+ looking for love is currently the fastest growing category.
How does Christian Mingle work?
The site is quite simple – almost basic, and on the navigation you can filter by who’s new, whether a user is online, their distance to you, what percentage they match up to you and an additional look book feature.
This allows you to dynamically scroll through users the site presents to you (using your preferences) and from here you can click a ‘x’ for no or a heart for yes.
You can also look through user profiles and ‘like’ them so they can become a match. From there, you can message them.
How to sign up to Christian Mingle?
How can you join Christian Mingle? You simply create an account, then you’re taken to answer a few basic questions about yourself.
You can then choose your hobbies and interests from an extensive list. The signup process wants to know exactly what religion you follow and how often you attend church.
You can then add up to 6 pictures of yourself. In total, signup takes about 6-10 minutes to complete.
Ease of use
The site is quite intuitive and the navigation keeps things simple. A couple of scrolls through the website and you should be on your way. There are handy little pop ups throughout the site that give tips on how to use the features, too.
Making contact and messages
Messaging is quite simple and basic. You need to have a paid membership to send messages, but you can receive communication from premium members who’ve unlocked the ability to send basic users a message.
You’ll get notifications through your browser and email every time you get sent a message, so you won’t miss them.
Each profile features a good amount of information about the user, from their age and height, to whether they want kids and how often the go to church. It also tells you what kind of person they’re looking for so you can determine yourself whether you’re a match.
Christian Mingle mobile app
The Christian Mingle app is available for free download for iPhone and Android and gives access to the same features that are on desktop.
For those looking for God-centred relationships, the app is a great way of making meaningful connections. The navigation is easy to use and user friendly, so it’s perfect for using on the go.
App features include:
- Browse profiles of local singles
- Find members that match your interests
- Send a ‘smile’ to your crush. If you find someone you’re interested in you can send them a quick ‘smile’ and also discover if the interest is mutual
- Upload photos quickly and easily (from your phone or Facebook)
- View all profile activity at a glance with the all-new activity feed with alerts, activity and chat management in one interface
The app includes an easy-to-use communication tool to help single Christians match and connect. Find your Christian soulmate by downloading the app today.
Real life reviews
- Communicate with any other user – even free members.
- Read your messages and reply to them.
- Get read receipts so you can see when your messages are seen.
- Enhanced privacy – hide your status and stop your profile from appearing in searches.
Because Christian Mingle is a serious dating site committed to finding its members long term love, there aren’t really any special features to shout about. The premium membership pretty much gives you everything you can access on the site.
Safety & security
When you first open the messaging feature, you’ll see a pop up warning you not to send any money out to other users, which is a handy tip for those new to online dating. All profiles have to be verified by the Christian Mingle team too, reducing the likelihood of scam profiles.
How much does Christian Mingle cost?
What are the membership prices and fees for Christian Mingle?
Like many other dating sites, you pay in one lump sum. Your profile is also automatically set to renew once your subscription runs out. To cancel, you must email [email protected] before the end of your membership term.
Subscription offers the following additional features:
- Send and receive messages.
- See when people have read your messages.
- Access all photos from other users.
- See who’s liked your profile and who’s viewed you.
- Hide your profile from searches and matches.
- Browse anonymously.
Discounts, offers and promo codes
There are no discounts or promo codes available on the website, but be sure to do a Google search before you sign up in case there are any hosted on third party websites, which is likely.
Is Christian Mingle free to join? Are there free trials?
All users are able to sign up to Christian Mingle for free, but it’s pretty limited with what you can do. You’ll need to upgrade to a paid membership to unlock full access to the site.
Pros and Cons
✓ Pros of Christian Mingle
- The site is inclusive of same-sex relationships.
- Users of Christian Mingle are more likely to be looking for long term love, so it’s a great way to find a serious relationship.
- All profiles are verified by the Christian Mingle team, so you should find someone genuine who has the same interests as you – including their religion and how often they go to church.
X Cons of Christian Mingle
- The site is a bit boring, with no questionnaire or fun features.
- Because of its niche Christian market, it can be hard to find matches if your search preferences are set too specific.
It’s a tricky one to score as Christian dating is quite a specific market, but there are a lot of features we can rate. Overall, the site is very basic. This does make it easy to use, but you don’t get the fun features that many other dating sites throw in with their membership.
The biggest plus point with Christian Mingle is there are a lot of members looking for a serious relationship, so it’s perfect if that’s what you’re seeking too.
But like we mentioned earlier, you have to keep your search preferences fairly open in order to create matches. This is because it doesn’t have the biggest number of users on the market, and also because the search criteria you can choose from is really vast.
It’s not the best dating site for finding someone local, but it’s great if your faith comes first and foremost in choosing your match. We’d give Christian Mingle a 3.5 out of 5.
Join Christian Mingle today!
Why can’t I log in?
If you are having trouble logging into your Christian Mingle account, then you can check the following:
– You are using the email address connected with your Christian Mingle account or are logging in through your Facebook account
– You are entering the right email address and password (keep in mind that passwords are case-sensitive)
– Your web browser is up to date
– You have deleted the cookies and cache in your web browser
I forgot my password. What should I do?
If you have forgotten your Christian Mingle password then you can enter your email address and click ‘Send Reset Link’. You will then receive an email to help you reset your password. Once the email is received, click ‘Reset Password’ in the email and a new window will open. Here you can enter your new password and select ‘Reset Password’ on the login page. You will be logged on to the site.
What does the heart button mean on Christian Mingle?
Members get the opportunity to view photos with a profile headline and ‘like’ or ‘dislike’ the photo by giving a heart or an ‘x’.
What is Messaging+?
This is a premium subscription feature that gives you the opportunity to communicate with any member in the Christian Mingle community (whether they are a paid member or not).
Messaging+ gives you the ability to:
– Communicate with any member regardless of subscription status
– Send unlimited messages to other singles
– Have a Messaging+ status badge on your profile
– Get Read Receipt information on messages sent
How do I change my Discovery Preferences?
The Discovery Preferences determine the profiles you are shown on your Browse Page as well as the Matches you are sent. Manage your search settings by tapping on your photo thumbnail or ☰ on a mobile and selecting ‘Discovery Preferences’. You can also access this by selecting the toggle-icon in the ‘I’m seeking’ box on your ‘Browse’ tab.
You can adjust your filters by tapping the drop-down menus and checking the boxes that apply. You can also adjust preferences such as age and height by sliding the circles along the slider.
How can I tell if a member has read my message?
All subscribers are able to see if another member has read their messages. When viewing messages with another member, you will see text that says ‘READ’ below the most recent message. The indicator will appear in bright green.
How do I delete my profile?
You can permanently delete your account through both the website or the app. Once you delete your profile, you will be unable to access information again such as messages, matches or profile information.
To permanently delete your profile:
1. Select the thumbnail of your Profile Photo in the right corner of your Profile Page
2. Select Account Settings
3. Tap on Profile Display Settings
4. Tap on the ‘Permanently Delete Profile’ button’
With a mobile device, choose the three bars in the corner which will take you to your account menu. Then tap on Profile Display Settings and select ‘Permanently Delete Profile’.
What is LookBook and how does it work?
With the LookBook feature you are able to browse profiles anonymously. You are shown profiles based on your Discovery Preferences and from the LookBook page you will see the member’s Profile Photo, Age, Location, Match Percentage, Essay and Display Name.
You have the option to make a selection on each profile:
– Selecting the ‘Heart’ indicates a Like
– Selecting the ‘X’ indicates that you pass on the profile
If you select the Heart and another member also Liked your profile, then this is considered a Mutual Like. If you pass on a member, they are not notified and only Mutual Likes are notified.
How do I block a member for messaging me?
If you don’t want to communicate with another member, then you can add their profile to your blocked list. You can block them while viewing their communication on the Messaging page or while viewing their profile.
Here is how to block someone on Christian Mingle:
1. Tap the horizontal three-dot menu (…)
2. click ‘Block’
3. Tap ‘Yes’ to confirm
Here is how to unblock a member:
1. Select your Profile Photo at the top of the page or the horizontal lines (☰) on the app
2. Click ‘Account Settings’ and then ‘Block List’
3. Tap the Display Name for the member
4. Click ‘Yes’ to confirm
How do I report another member?
If you encounter suspicious activity, abusive behaviour, harassment or inappropriate content or messages then you are able to report a member.
There are two ways to report a member:
1. Inbox: When you are viewing a message from another member, click on (…) in the upper right-hand corner. Click ‘Report’ and then select the category for concern and click Send.
2. Profile; When viewing the profile for the member, click on (…) under their profile photo. Click ‘Report’ and select the appropriate category for your concern, then tap ‘Send’.
What is the difference between a free membership and a Premium subscription?
The difference between a free membership and the Premium subscription is the added communication and control.
Free members are able to:
– Post their own profile with photos
– Search the database for Christian singles
– Receive ‘Your Matches’ emails
– Purchase the Spotlight feature.
With the Premium subscription you can enjoy:
– Messaging+ feature – communicate with anyone regardless of subscription status
– Read and reply to all messages
– Read Receipts that tell you when messages are read
– Enhanced privacy control – hide your status, browse anonymously and remove your profile from appearing in searches
How do I buy a subscription?
With a Premium subscription, you can enjoy the full access to the site with the exception of the Spotlight feature.
How to purchase a subscription:
1. Select ‘Get All Features’ at the top of the page
2. Select the desired subscription length
3. Submit your payment information
4. Select ‘Complete Purchase’
Multi-month subscriptions are collected in one lump sum and not in monthly instalments.
How can I turn off auto-renewal?
Each time you purchase a subscription, automatic renewal will be turned on.
If you purchased your subscription on the website or through the app, you are able to turn off the feature prior to the renewal date.
Here is how to turn off automatic renewal:
1. Select the photo thumbnail, or ☰ on the app and click ‘Account Settings’
2. Select ‘Manage Subscription’
3. Select ‘Stop Subscription’ (this will stop any future billing)
4. Choose the reason for ending your subscription and click ‘Continue’, and then select ‘Stop Subscription’
After following these steps, you will receive a confirmation email from Christian Mingle. You will have access to the paid feature of the website throughout the rest of your subscription.
Here is how to turn automatic renewal back on:
1. Select the photo thumbnail, or ☰ if using the app and select ‘Account Settings’
2. Select ‘Manage Subscription
3. Select on ‘Restart Subscription which will turn the renewal feature back on