Key dating app market statistics for 2021
- The global online dating market has witnessed continuous growth in the past few years and is expected to augment even further during the forecast period (2020-2024) (source).
- Revenue in the Online Dating segment is projected to reach US$3,241m in 2021(source).
- In global comparison, most revenue will be generated in the United States (US$674m in 2021) (source).
- The major players dominating the online dating market are Match Group, Inc., Spark Networks SE, ProSiebenSat.1 Group (eHarmony) and Bumble (source).
Online dating app usage statistics
In 2020, there has been an increase in the usage of newer applications like Tinder, Bumble, and Hinge, growing the size of the dating app market. These are mobile-based online dating apps that are tailored for casual dating experiences.
Looking at the past few years, Bumble and Hinge have distinguished themselves from Tinder by marketing their product as more for relationships than a casual hook-up (as Tinder is so well-known for).
In Asia, a few online dating apps have recorded double-digit monthly active users. For example, Tantan, operated by Chinese social search provider Mono, is popular in Asia with an estimated 20 million monthly active users.
Global Dating Apps Market Share
|Plenty of Fish||$3.5 million|
- Badoo and Tinder are the two biggest platforms in the world
- As Tinder continues to grow, Badoo has lost active users in the past 5 years
- Bumble is the challenger to Tinder in the North American and European market
User interest is changing in favor of more long-term relationships over casual hookups. Match.com and Plenty of FIsh offer these services while apps like Hinge and Bumble have attempted to adjust their offering to service both markets.
US Dating App Market Share
|Plenty of Fish||$4.2 million|
|Ok Cupid||$1.7 million|
Compared to the global statistics, Badoo is not popular in the US market.
The larger market share of Tinder and Bumble in comparison to sites like Match.com and Plenty of Fish shows that online dating is shifting towards a more casual, mobile experience.
Global Dating App Valuations
Tinder is valued higher than Badoo as it is the most popular app in the highest revenue-per-user region of North America.
Both apps have similar active user numbers. Badoo’s key audience is in Europe and South America. These markets tend to spend less money on dating apps.
Hinge’s high market valuation is from demographics. These are made up of North American college students.
Global Dating App Revenue
Revenue in the dating app market has increased over the past few years. The market leaders being Tinder and Bumble.
Both of these dating apps have been most profitable in North America. These popular apps use a freemium model that removes any limitations.
Global dating app projected revenue
The dating app sector is forecasted to grow gradually as more users in North America, South America, and Europe activate accounts.
It is also unlikely that any new competition will emerge in the North American market as the major players cover both casual and more serious type audiences.
China has become a key market for online dating, however cultural barriers hold people back from casual dating over finding a partner. For this reason, it is expected for this market to stay smaller than Europe and North America.
Interested in finding more dating statistics?
- Find online dating statistics during Covid for 2021 here.
- Or Tinder app usage statistics during coronavirus
- Data on social isolation and effects on health