JDate is for Jewish dating. Whatever your religion within the Jewish community, it’s the perfect place to meet like-minded people who share the same interests while seeing their religion as a top priority. It’s also incredibly successful.
According to their website, in 2011 alone, 52% of Jewish marriages that started online were created thanks to JDate. So they are responsible for more Jewish marriages than all the other online dating sites. You can’t argue with those facts!
Please review some of the most extensive features and benefits; our in-depth JDate reviews are below.
Jdate member structure
Who’s on Jdate? The most active users on JDate are women aged between 35-49. They’re primarily looking for longer-lasting, serious relationships.
David Yarus, whose company JDate bought JSwipe, believes that JDate users are older and set on finding “the one.” However, it’s also becoming increasingly popular with the 19-29 age group.
- Members: There are over 1 million users worldwide. Seven hundred fifty thousand are from the US.
- Member activity: 180,000 people visit the site every month, and 2,000 are active weekly
- Gender proportion: 46% Male and 54% Female
Jdate Age Range
We know that most users are seeking a more serious relationship. The age range on Jdate is an older demographic. Younger Jewish singles tend to use Jswipe.
David Yarus, the dating site’s Global Ambassador, described JDate’s core demographic as “older and set on finding the one.”
Is Jdate for seniors?
Yes, Jdate is a good dating site for seniors, as 15% of users are aged 60 or above. These are members looking for a committed relationship with an emotional connection. We also think that Jdate is an excellent site for senior singles looking to get back into dating, as they can instantly connect through shared faith.
How does Jdate work?
JDate is pretty simple; the main unique selling point is for Jewish dating. There are no real bells and whistles – you browse through members you like the look of and start a conversation from there.
JDate sends you matches, too, accessed through the navigation at the top of your profile. So it’s well worth adding detailed information to your profile to get suitable matches during sign-up.
Sign up and learn how to join
Sign-up is simple and requires the following steps:
- First, create your profile, adding your username and password.
- Next, upload at least one photo of yourself – this is needed.
- Choose a JDate display name. You can either choose a new name for yourself or keep the name you initially chose on signing up.
- Add details about yourself, like your height, religion, and whether you want kids.
- Choose some of your interests from a long list of choices.
Then voila – you’re ready to use the site.
Ease of use
Using JDate is so simple – the navigation tells you where to go and what’s what, so it’s intuitive. You can also choose how to use the site – browse through profiles or wait for matches to appear.
JDate chat and messages
Free members can only send a wink to show interest, but users with a membership can send and receive messages through their chat feature.
If you’ve signed up and have messaging+, you can send messages to free members. The messaging hub looks like a cross between emails and a messenger – it’s straightforward.
All profiles have a photo, as at least one is required on sign-up, and they’re verified.
There’s also the option to add plenty of information to your profile, but some members choose not to, as you can skip most questions. There’s nothing special or unique about profiles on JDate – they do the job, and that’s about it.
Jdate mobile app for iPhone & Android
The JDate app is the leading Jewish dating app for single Jewish men and women looking to connect with other Jewish singles.
The app is available on both iOS and Android. It’s pretty simple, making it easy to use, with all the information on one handy screen. You can also access the matchmaking feature with a simple tap.
The app’s profiles and personalization features stand out amongst other dating apps since it helps you connect with like-minded members. In addition, a suite of powerful communication tools allows you to meet more people and make deeper connections.
JDate app features include:
- Browse profiles of local Jewish singles and find other singles in your area
- Find members that match your interests and personality
- Send a “Flirt” to your crush
- Upload photos quickly and easily from your phone or Facebook
- Get more with a JDate subscription – subscriber. You can get even more ways to make better connections, such as messaging and enhanced privacy control.
Key features of Jdate
Matchmaking is where you get your daily matches based on your preferences on signing up.
Send and Receive Messages. Connect and communicate with other Jewish singles using the messaging tools in the app.
Messaging + TM. Send messages that can be read and replied to by anyone on JDate, regardless of their membership status (Premium subscription required)
Messaging + Badge. Make your profile stand out to everyone and let them know that you can read and respond to their messages whether they have a paid subscription or not! (Premium subscription required)
Enhanced Privacy Control. Browse anonymously, hide your status, and remove your profile from appearing in searches.
Read Receipts. See if they read your messages.
Share Photos. Send other members photos of yourself.
Secret Admirer. If you like a profile, JDate will find out if they want you to instead of messaging them and getting rejected. You can mark them with a heart, a wavy line if you’re unsure and need more time to decide, or a cross for no.
Kibitz Corner is a conversation starter where members answer questions and see what answers others have given.
JDate Events. If you want to meet someone offline, you can do so through JDate. It’s safe and relaxed, so there is no pressure.
Life. Discover success stories and dating advice through their on-site magazine.
Is Jdate a safe dating site?
There are plenty of good online dating tips to browse online, which are easy to access through the website’s footer and give the usual info, like sharing your details online and meeting in public. JDate is also pretty hot on detecting and suspending fake accounts, so safety is a top priority.
How much does JDate cost per month?
What are the prices for a JDate membership?
Monthly memberships are available for the following prices:
Auto-renew automatically turns on. To turn it off, go to your settings, find Manage Subscription, and then click Stop Subscription won’t stop your current membership but will stop future billing.
Membership allows you to:
- Send and receive messages, even to free members, with Messaging+.
- See when other people have read your messages.
- Hide your status and profile from other people.
- Browse anonymously.
- Get access to all photos.
- See who liked your profile and viewed you.
Discounts, offers, and promo codes
We found no discount codes on the site but always searched to see if anything was available online. Unfortunately, the ones on Groupon didn’t work, but you never know!
Is JDate free?
Are there free trials for Jdate? Anyone can become a free member, which is excellent for trialing the site to see if you want to subscribe first. You can create a profile on JDate and the phone apps for free, and it’s also free to flirt.
It’s minimal with what you can do, but you can browse through members to see if there’s anyone you like the look of before subscribing to contact them.
Pros and Cons
✓ Pros of JDate
- Serious dating is at the heart of JDate, so it’s great if you’re looking to settle down quickly.
- Most people on the site are Jewish, so finding a Jewish partner is straightforward.
- The site is straightforward to use, with no confusing elements.
X Cons of JDate
- Because Jewish dating can be a bit niche, there aren’t many members available to connect with if your location settings are too specific. So you might need to look further afield.
- It’s not the most exciting site to use.
Our final Jdate review
Not many sites cater to Jewish dating, so JDate is an essential dating site for the Jewish community. With our JDate reviews, we found no exciting bells and whistles to shout about, but it does the job. So if you want longer-lasting, profound love, it’s a great place to start.
We also think JDate is a good app for all age groups. JDate is great for seniors and younger age groups to find a meaningful connection.
JDate Events are a great place to take the plunge and meet people offline. It’s safe, secure, and relaxed. Plenty of safety tips and dating advice are on the site, so it feels like you’re getting a good service when you sign up for membership.
You might find the website a little dull because it is. The features also don’t compare to other big dating sites like Match.com but give JDate a chance when religion and love are more important to you. It gets a 3.6/5 from us.
- Ease of Use
What is LookBook, and how does it work?
The LookBook Feature allows you to browse profiles one at a time, anonymously. You see profiles based on your Discovery Preferences. In addition, the LookBook page lets you view a member’s profile photo and display name, match percentage, age, and essay.
You can make a selection on each profile with the following:
– a heart to indicate alike
– an X to indicate you would like to pass on the profile
When you select the heart and a member has liked your profile, you will receive a mutual-like notification. However, if you pass on someone in LookBook, they don’t get a message, only on a joint like.
How can I change my Discovery Preferences?
The profiles you can see on your browse page and the matches you receive are based on your Discovery Preferences. You can manage this through your search settings by selecting your photo thumbnail or ☰ if you’re on your mobile phone and clicking ‘Discovery Preferences.’
You also can select the toggle icon in the ‘I’m seeking’ box on your ‘Browse’ tab. You can adjust filters by clicking or tapping the drop-down menus and checking the boxes you want. You can adapt preferences like age and height by sliding the circles along the slider bar.
Start with general preferences to better represent the different members in your area. You can then narrow your choices one at a time to filter down your matches.
What is Messaging+?
A Premium subscription feature allows you to communicate directly with any member in the Jdate community (whether they are a paid member or not).
With Messaging+, you can enjoy the following:
– Chat with any member on Jdate, regardless of subscription Status
– Send unlimited messages to other members
– Your Messaging+ status will be visible with a badge designating this on your profile
– Read Receipt information on all emails sent
How do I know if a member has read my message?
All subscribers can see if another member has read their message. When viewing your messages with another member, see if there is the text that says ‘READ’ found below the most recent message and will appear in bright green.
How can I delete my profile?
To permanently delete your profile, follow these steps:
1. Select the thumbnail of your Profile Photo found in the upper right corner of your Profile Page
2. Click ‘Account Settings
3. Select ‘Profile Display Settings
3. Select the ‘Permanently Delete Profile’ button
If you are on your mobile phone, click on the three bars in the corner that take you to your account menu. Next, click ‘Profile Display Settings’ and ‘Permanently Delete Profile.’
How can I edit my profile page?
If you want to edit the details on your profile that other members can see, click on your photo thumbnail in the top right of any page when accessing the site from your computer. Select ‘My Profile and then ‘Edit Profile.
If you are accessing the site from the app, click on the horizontal menu icon (☰), then click on your Display Name/ Profile Photo. Next, click on ‘Edit Profile.
Keep in mind that JDate reviews any changes to your profile before posting. Therefore, it should take about 48 hours for approval. Your entry for profile approval will appear with a green pending note until approved. If JDate rejects your updated entry, you will receive an email to your email with a message in red text to notify you.
How long should I wait to share personal information with another member?
You are encouraged to communicate with other members on JDate’s communication tools until you are comfortable with the person. Then, take your time and trust your instincts. If you feel rushed about sharing personal details, it’s best to be skeptical.
How can I report another member on JDate?
Do not hesitate to report this activity if you have experienced abusive behavior, harassment, suspicious activity, or inappropriate content or messages.
There are two ways you can report another member:
1. Inbox: When viewing a message from the member you would like to report, select the (…) found in the upper right-hand corner. Click ‘Report,’ find the appropriate category for your concern, and then click ‘Send.’
2. Profile: When looking at the profile of the member you want to report, click on the (…) found under the member’s profile photo. Click ‘Report,’ find the appropriate category for your concern, and then select ‘Send.’
JDate can accurately identify the account in question whenever you use the’ Report’ link. Any evidence you provide is kept anonymous and will allow JDate to take appropriate action.
How can I block a member from contacting me?
If there is another member that you don’t want to communicate with, you can add them to your blocked list. Block a member while viewing their communication on the Messaging page or profile.
Follow these steps to block another member:
1. Select the horizontal three-dot menu (…)]
2. Click ‘Block.’
3. Click ‘Yes’ to confirm
If you would like to unblock a member:
1. Click on your small Profile Photo found at the top of the page or the horizontal menu lines (☰) if you’re on the app
2. Click ‘Account Settings’ and then ‘Block List.’
3. Select the Display Name of the desired member
4. Select ‘Yes’ to confirm
If you receive abusive or inappropriate communication, make sure to report this to a member of the Jdate team.
How can I buy a subscription?
The Premium subscription allows you to access the site (except for the Spotlight feature). If you would like to purchase a subscription, follow these steps:
1. select ‘Get All Features.’
2. Select the desired subscription length
3. Input your payment information
4. Select ‘Complete Purchase.’
Remember that they collect multi-month subscriptions in one lump sum, not monthly installments.
If you would like to purchase a subscription through the app, follow these steps:
1. Click on the horizontal menu lines (☰)
2. Click ‘Get Full Access – Subscribe Now!’
3. Select the desired subscription length
You can add your payment information on Android and click ‘Complete Purchase.’ If you are on iOS, follow the instructions to complete the purchase through the App Store.
What is the difference between a free membership and a Premium subscription?
The added communication and control are the difference between a free membership and a Premium subscription.
All members can:
– Post a profile with up to 6 photos
– Search the database of Jewish singles
– Receive ‘Your Matches’ emails
– Purchase the Spotlight feature
With the Premium subscription, you can enjoy the following:
– Messaging+ feature where you can communicate with anyone regardless of subscription status
– Read and reply to all messages
– Read Receipts that let you know when messages are read.
– Enhanced Privacy Control where you can hide your status, browse anonymously and remove your profile from appearing in searches
How can I turn off auto-renewal?
Automatic renewal turns on with each subscription purchase. If you bought your subscription through the Android app or website, you could turn your automatic renewal off at any time before the renewal date with these steps:
1. Click the photo thumbnail, or ☰ select’ Account Settings if you’re on the app.’
2. Click on ‘Manage Subscription.’
3. Click ‘Stop Subscription,’ which will stop any future billing
4. Choose the reason for ending your subscription, click ‘Continue,’ then click ‘Stop Subscription.’
After following these steps, you will receive a confirmation email. You will continue to access the paid features for the remainder of your subscription.
If you would like to switch the auto-renewal back on, follow these steps:
1. Click the photo thumbnail, ☰ and then click ‘Account Settings
2. Click on ‘Manage Subscription.’
3. Click on ‘Restart Subscription,’ which will turn the renewal feature on