Only Lads is a gay and bisexual dating website that’s completely free. It’s designed for chatting, making friends and dating, and is completely gay owned and operated.
It works like a social media website, so networking is the aim of the game. It’s hassle free and high quality too, so let’s see what all the fuss is about.
Member structure on Only Lads
- Who’s on Only Lads? Anyone who’s gay or bisexual and single.
- Members: They have over 1 million single gay men worldwide.
- Gender proportion: 100% Male
How the Site Works
It works in the same way as a social networking site. You can browse through a series of member profiles in loads of different locations, with the option to reach out to them and add them as a friend or send a message.
How to Sign Up
Sign up is really quick and easy. You have the option to sync your account to your Facebook, or if you choose to join in the traditional way then you can fill out a simple form.
This asks you to enter basic details like your name, birthday, sexual preference and the email you want to be contacted on.
Once you’ve confirmed your email via an activation code and proven you’re not a robot, you can add your photo and add more details about yourself.
Ease of use
The site is really easy to use. You see profiles straight away that you can connect with, and there is an easy-to-use navigation on the site which makes it clear exactly what each button can do.
Chat, messages and notifications
Like Facebook, you can add someone as a friend to build up your network of friends. You can also start a chat, which is their standard messaging service.
Otherwise there’s an icebreaker, which consists of a wink, smile, wave or poke that you can send to someone to start a conversation with.
Profile quality is fairly poor. You can skip most of the sign up section, which leaves you with an unfinished profile.
Many members choose not to add a photo, lock their photos away or upload a photo without a picture of their face, which makes networking with members and finding someone you like really difficult.
The Only Lads app is available in the App and Play store. It’s optimised for dating anywhere and everywhere, and uses all the same features as the desktop site.
The interface is simple and easy to use and lets you see user profiles and their location from you, which is a benefit.
Real life reviews for OnlyLads.com
From Dating Scout
- Nearby. This shows you all the members close to your location.
- Chat. This is where you can begin a conversation with other members.
- Visited You. See everyone who’s viewed your profile.
- Friends. See all your added friends here.
- Favourites. This is where your favourite profiles are stored.
Is Only Lads safe?
Only Lads strictly monitor the terms of their user policy, so make sure you read it carefully before you you sign up. You can also report or block suspicious or abusive members.
How much does Only Lads cost?
What are the membership prices? The basic profile is free, which allows you to message members, add friends, send icebreakers and discover new profiles.
However, for £7.99 you can upgrade to a premium membership, which allows you to do the following:
- View all profiles.
- Send unlimited messages.
- Add an unlimited amount of friends.
- Browse ad-free.
- View everyone who favourited you.
Discounts, offers and promo codes
Every now and then, Only Lads will offer a 30-40% discount on their premium membership, so hang tight as it’s unlikely you’ll have to pay full price. As ever, do a quick Google search before you sign up to see if something’s out there.
If you do a Google search you can sometimes find money off passes too, so make sure you shop around before you commit.
The basic profile is free, but when you sign up you get a 1-day free trial for premium membership. If you don’t want to upgrade, you can just stick with a free basic profile.
Pros and Cons
✓ Pros of Only Lads
- Messaging is free and the chat feature is really easy to use
- The premium membership is reasonably priced.
- It’s a great place to connect with men from the same sexuality, who can be difficult to meet.
X Cons of Only Lads
- Profile quality is on the whole pretty poor.
- There are not a whole load of unique or fun features to use.
- There are limits to the amount you can do with a free site.
As a free site, Only Lads does ok. It’s got all the basic features you’d expect from a free dating site, from messaging, to winks, to browsing through profiles.
Unfortunately, profile quality isn’t great so it’s really hard to get a feel for who a lot of members are. There’s also not a lot of members to choose from in each area. This is because the site it still on the rise with a growing membership base.
It’s probably best for casual hook ups rather than serious dating, but if you want to dip your toes into the gay dating community then it’s not a bad place to start. 2.7 / 5.
Join OnlyLads.com Today
How to join Only Lads?
Sign up to Only Lads on the registration page or you can connect your Facebook account for a quicker registration process.
How can I send messages on Only Lads?
Send messages to other members by going to that member’s profile and then selecting the ‘Chat’ button to begin your conversation.
Why am I unable to message another member on Only Lads?
If you are a free member, then you are only allowed to send a maximum of three free messages per day. It may be the case that you exceeded your daily limit. To send unlimited messages, you can upgrade your membership to a premium subscription.
What is ‘Icebreaker’?
An ‘Icebreaker’ is a feature on Only Lads that allows you to quickly contact someone for free by sending them a wink, wave, smile, or poke.
Why can’t I see the full list of members who favourited me?
Only members with premium subscriptions are able to view the full list of those who favourited them.
Why can’t I add friends to my list?
Free members are given a maximum of 10 friends in their list. To add more friends, you can upgrade your Only Lads membership and add unlimited number of friends.
How can I permanently delete my Only Lads profile?
To delete your profile:
– Go to your ‘Account Settings’
– Select the ‘Remove Your Account’ button
Is it possible to temporarily hide my Only Lads profile?
Unfortunately, there is no function to temporarily hide your profile.
How can I add photographs?
You can add photographs to your profile or to your ‘Private album’. You can also share your private photographs with other members when you are messaging. To add a photograph:
1. Go to ‘your photos’ page
2. Select ‘add photo’ button for the desired album
3. Click ‘choose file’ button and select the image you want to upload
4. Press the ‘upload new photo’ button
5. The upload process might take a few minutes depending on the speed of your connection
6. Your photo will now be available in your album
How can I remove advertisements showing up on my mobile app?
You can remove ads on your mobile app by upgrading your Only Lads membership.
How can block someone on Only Lads?
To block someone:
1. Visit the ‘Blocked profiles’ page which you can find on your ‘Account dashboard’
2. Select the ‘Block a profile’ button on the top right
3. Enter the username and a reason for blocking and then click ‘Block profile’ button to save
How can I unblock someone?
If you would like to unblock another member:
1. Go to the profile you would like to unblock or the message conversation you had with them
2. In the sidebar, select ‘Unblock profile’ button
3. Confirm you would like to unblock the profile by selecting ‘OK’ button in the popup
4. The profile will now be unblocked
What should I do if I’m getting harassed by another member on Only Lads?
If you are being harassed by another member, you are encouraged to block this person. This will prevent them from sending further messages to you. Also, if you feel their behaviour is not normal and want to raise it to the attention of Only Lads, you can report the profile to them.
Does Only Lads offer premium membership?
Yes, there is one kind of premium membership available that is $12.95 per month price.
How can I permanently delete my Only Lads membership?
Cancel your premium membership by selecting the ‘Membership Management’ link found on your ‘Account Settings’.
Does Only Lads offer refunds?
No, there are no instances where refunds are offered to members who decide to cancel there premium membership account.
Alternatives to OnlyLads.com