Key Tinder Statistics
- Since its launch in 2012, Tinder has been downloaded more than 340 million times globally, with half the downloads coming from people between the ages of 18 and 25 (source).
- The vast majority of its revenues come from just 6 million subscribers who pay for the “gold” service.
- 57 million Tinder users around the world
- 5.9 million Tinder subscribers pay for a premium Tinder Plus and Tinder Gold
- Tinder is used in 190 countries and is available in 40 languages
Tinder During Coronavirus
The coronavirus’s unfolding impact on Tinder and the online dating landscape in 2021 is fascinating to watch. Here are some stats on Tinder usage during the coronavirus pandemic:
- Tinder users made 3 billion swipes worldwide on Sunday 29 March 2020, the most the app has ever recorded in a single day (source).
- In the UK, daily conversations rose by 12% between mid-February and the end of March (source).
- New sign-ups for paid subscriptions declined in the U.S. when the country entered lockdown in late March and only began to pick up as states gradually reopened.
Since physical meetups aren’t going to get back to normal levels anytime soon, Tinder has been tweaking its features to better facilitate virtual dating.
In April, Tinder temporarily took down the paywall of its “Passport” feature, which allows users to “unlock” location information and digitally meet people anywhere in the world.
Tinder has also launched its one-on-one video chatting function in June in an attempt to attract more users.
Tinder User Statistics
- Tinder users go on one million dates per week
- Over 50% of active Tinder users are active at 9 pm, according to Nielson
- Active Tinder users log in on average four times a day
Tinder Gender Ratio
Tinder users in the United States as of June 2020, sorted by gender:
- During the measured period, it was found by App Ape that male users accounted for 72% of the dating app’s active user accounts on the Android platform (source)
Tinder Usage by Age
- According to April 2020 survey data of adults in the United States, 15 percent of respondents aged 18 to 29 years were currently using Tinder (source).
- Adults aged 33 to 44 years were most likely to use the social dating app, as 19 percent of respondents from that age group confirmed being current users (source).
Tinder Usage in the United States
Tinder is part of the Match Group, an American internet company that owns and operates a selection of online dating sites including the eponymous Match.com, OkCupid, and PlentyOfFish.
- The annual dating revenue of the Match Group in 2018 was 1.7 billion U.S. dollars and Tinder consistently ranks among the top non-gaming app publishers in the United States based on revenue (source).
- As of January 2019, the vast majority of Tinder users in the United States were male (source).
- About two-thirds of active Tinder users accessed the app on a monthly basis and the remaining third of U.S. users were daily active users (source).
Tinder LGBTQ+ Statistics
Tinder made its Orientation feature global in 2020. The dating app’s feature lets swipers list up to three of nine sexual orientations in their Tinder profiles.
Users can identify as three of the following: straight, gay, lesbian, bisexual, asexual, demisexual, pansexual, queer, and questioning.
- Since launching in 2020 in the US, UK, India, Canada, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand in partnership with GLAAD, 62% of swipers have set orientation, and one in five matches made identify as queer.
Tinder and College Students Statistics
- 40% of US college students say “Tinder is for hookups, and Bumble is for dating”, though 54% of the claim that there is no difference (source).
- 70% of these college students have never met up with their matches (source).
- 45% say they use Tinder mostly for confidence-boosting procrastination (source).
Tinder and One Night Stands Statistics
According to Trond Viggo Grøntvedt, from the Norwegian University of Science and Technology’s department of psychology:
- 20% of users had one-night stands after using Tinder but ‘the vast majority of them had only experienced this once’ (source).
- This means 8 out of 10 Tinder users never manage to have sex using the app.
Tinder Swipes Per Day
According to Tinder’s own press resources (source):
- There are 1.66 billion swipes per day
- Which result in 1 million dates per week
- Cumulatively, over 20 billion matches have been registered.
The in-app purchase revenue of the dating platform Tinder – Dating New People, has skyrocketed in recent years.
- North and Latin America account for the largest share of the revenue.
- The total worldwide revenue amounted to nearly 65 million U.S. dollars in January 2021 (source).
- Downloads of the dating platform Tinder – Dating New People peaked in January 2020, with over 9 million downloads that month from the Apple App Store and Google Play Store (source).
- North and Latin America contributed the largest share of downloads in the evaluated period.
Interested in finding more dating stats?